The Elevate [Math] Program serves youth. Our volunteers teach valuable lessons with each word and especially with their conduct. Adult misconduct with youth carries serious consequences because the Silicon Valley Education Foundation (SVEF) cares that its volunteers have healthy relationships with the youth they serve, and agree to the following set of standards:
- I agree to conduct myself in a professional, respectful manner at all times. I understand that the volunteers are role models for students, and will conduct myself accordingly.
- I will maintain appropriate physical boundaries at all times.
- I understand that a school has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion of all students. I will uphold those policies and values while volunteering. I will not share my personal or political views with students while volunteering. If I have any questions about this, I will ask teacher or ASVEF staff.
- I will not engage in private communications with minors to include communications via text messaging, e-mail, phone, internet chat, on-line games, or other forms of social media
- I will share with teachers and/or school administrators any concerns that I may have related to student welfare and/or safety.
- I will wear or show volunteer identification whenever I am volunteering in a school. I will use only adult bathroom facilities.
- I agree never to be alone with individual students who are not under the supervision of teachers or school authorities.
- I will not possess weapons of any type while on school premises.
- I will not possess or use tobacco or any nicotine-related products and will not possess or be under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, or illegal drugs on school property or during school events off-premises.
- I understand that in the course of volunteering, I may learn private or sensitive information about students, families, or staff. I agree to maintain confidentiality outside of school. I will not share information that I learn about students or staff with anyone except to carry out my volunteer duties and as outlined in this code of conduct.
These are examples only, not a comprehensive list. Other actions not listed could result in suspension or dismissal as a volunteer. SVEF takes all complaints of misconduct seriously. Credible allegations of misconduct will be promptly investigated by the appropriate authorities.
Agreement: I agree to follow this code of conduct, the general standards of professional conduct, and maintain confidentiality. I understand that failure to comply is grounds for immediate suspension or permanent revocation of my volunteer privileges.
By typing my name below, I confirm that I have read and understood this Code of Conduct and that as a volunteer for Elevate [Math] I agree to follow these standards. I understand that any action inconsistent with this Code of Conduct or failure to take action mandated by this Code of Conduct may result in my dismissal as a volunteer.